Receiving Blankets

If you're looking to make something for a new little one, these receiving blankets are possibly the easiest place to start.


I bought a yard of each type of flannel that I wanted to use; you may choose more or less depending on what size you want your blankets. I looked up different size recommendations and it seems that most parents like the wraps to be between 36 and 42 square inches.
Once I pre-washed and dried the fabric, I cut it into a square: fold at a corner, bringing the shorter edge along the longer side, then trim the excess. (Unless you have a very large table to work on, it will be easiest to lay this out on the floor to cut.)
I started ironing the hem and corners using this fabulous and easy tutorial. (Rather than the 1/2" hem she shows, I only did a 1/4".) Then I pinned everything and used a straight stitch to sew it all down.
 
I wanted to play with some of the settings I don't normally use on my sewing machine, so I also sewed a zig-zag stitch on some.
I think the extra 
stitching
is a fun addition
to these blankets!


And that's it; it's that easy! Once you've finished your stitching, you're all ready to welcome that baby, wrap him or her up, and cuddle away!


No comments:

Post a Comment