Burp Cloths

Let's make some burp cloths!

 
Burp cloths are another baby craft that are pretty simple to make - you can just make a rectangular one if you're just getting familiar with sewing; or you can try different shapes, adding ribbons, bows, and appliqués, if you  want a little more of a challenge - although even that isn't too difficult.
The first time I decided to make burp cloths was for my boyfriend's sister in 2011. I wanted to give her something that was useful, but still adorable. I picked out a print with monkeys (one of her favorite things) and a print of the classic Winnie the Pooh (the nursery theme she'd picked). She said that she felt bad using them because they were too cute!
When my sister was pregnant two years later, I decided to sew a whole bunch for her.
At first, we thought she was having a girl, but a second ultrasound showed that I would definitely be getting a nephew. I had been overly anxious to  start making things and had already sewn a few precious pink burp cloths with little bows and frills. So, I went out again, found some fun baby boy prints, and started sewing more.
The nice thing about rectangle burp cloths is that they can be easily cut at different lengths and widths without changing the 'pattern' to fit the size of the fabric. I think most of the straight burp cloths I've made range within an inch or two of 18x10 inches. I've also cut out a peanut shaped pattern that is 18x9.5 inches (at it's widest point).
For my burps cloths, I use flannel on the outside with a layer of batting in the middle. I read on several other blogs that adding the batting makes the cloths more absorbant.
After I gave my sister her burp cloths, she decided to make some for her friends that were pregnant. She told me that she didn't use the batting, but, after the fact, wished she had.
Even wthout the batting, they will still catch spit-up and wipe up messes.
I've also made some cloths without the batting - using flannel on one side and terrycloth or microfiber on the other.
 
Don't forget to pre-wash and dry any material you decide to use - batting, especially, shrinks a bit. Pre-washing will also let out the darker dyes in the material, so that it doesn't end up bleeding onto the other material. (I didn't do this for a dark blue material paired with white and my sister had to use a lot of stain remover to get it white again. Oops!)
I like to pair a bright, busy print with a simple print or solid flannel. Then brighten up the 'plain' side with ribbon, ric-rac, appliqués, or a strip of the alternating fabric. One of my favorite things about making burp cloths is the adaptability of them. Try making different sizes, shapes, no ribbon or lots. Once you feel comfortable, you'll be ready to pair your handmade burp cloth with a matching, handmade, little baby bib!


No comments:

Post a Comment